Simulation or Game?

 This week we play tested four simulations, here are my evaluations of each.

Space X

I didn’t really enjoy this. It was far to slow for my liking and the controls were very hard to understand at first. I tried a few times but was never successful, and it wasn’t until after the 5th attempt, did I realize I what I was trying to accomplish. The first few attempts I reset because I never felt like I was getting anywhere. I think the instructions could have had a little more guidance as to what the actual process was. The goal was obvious, dock the ship, but there was no understanding of what that actually means.

I would say this was a simulation.

Sky-High

I liked the simplicity of the design for this. I didn’t like the instructions and the over abundance of information you needed to try it out. I was successful in that I achieved a score of 4, however, my game ended because I two aircraft came to close to each other!

I believe Sky-High is also a simulation.

Circuit Lab

I really, really like the idea of this. If I knew anything at all about circuits, I think it may be a very useful tool to simulate circuits or ideas for a build before building in real life. I did not like the complexity of the content, but that it just because I truly had no idea what I was doing. The interface itself was very easy and simplistic to grasp, which was nice.

I don’t know if I was successful or not because I don’t really know what the goal was??

I would classify this as a simulation as well. Like the other playtest, this one seems to be for practice of a very specialized skill set. I would imagine if I was in to circuitry or testing out different builds, I would find enjoyment out of it, but I don’t see it as a game.

Cell to Singularity

I really enjoyed this. I love the design and the simplistic nature of it and the underlying learning aspect is well done. I can’t say that I found any dislikes to it. I never met the goal, only because I didn’t have the time to dedicate to see it all the way through. 

I would say this is 100% a simulation game. The whole time I didn’t feel like I was learning anything specifically or practicing a skill for mastery. I was just playing a game with a leaning objective infused in it. I could easily see myself sinking hours into this, which for me is the idea of a game!

Overall I enjoyed testing all 4 of these and seeing the difference in each. Some were better than others, with only one of them being more game like in my opinion. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road of Trials

Intro to Advanced class